Saturday, December 4, 2010

Adventure Cycling Association

Adventure Cycling Association
ACA has multiple map sets for long distance cycling different areas in the USA. I have the southern tier set from a few years back. I would have to say, though we deviated from the designated route from time to time, the set was the single most valuable reading material on board. Light weight, water resistant, packed with info.
The US portion of my ride will be pieced together using info gleaned from ACA maps. They have 3 sets that cover the entire distance from coast to coast. Northern route, central, and the southern tier. My ride can't be that direct as I need to make up extra milage while staying in a westerly direction so I will be utilizing info from many different sets. The Atlantic coast set is really going to help me stay clear of the congested eastern coast cities.
I recently joined ACA and they generously sponsored me by donating a few map sets.
A while back I wrote an email to Motel6, explaining my GWR attempt and asking if they have any sort of deal whereby I could get a discount or corporate rate if I stayed with them whenever possible along my journey.
They responded by pointing out that they already are the cheapest chain going and no they didn't have what I was looking for.
Fair enough, I thought.
After joining ACA I discovered one of the perks of being a member is getting a 10% corporate rate discount at motel6. So there you go. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

ACA sends out 9yearly magazines and posts inspiring, informative, and interesting emails too if you are a member. We should have something similar in Canada. Though the window for LD touring in Canada is relatively short, there is much to see.
Bruce Gordon
Globebent.org

No comments:

Post a Comment